In Strasbourg

In Strasbourg

Monday, November 1, 2010

I smell like Winston Churchill


One of the depressing things about international travel is the globalization of brand and product. To see not only the usual suspects, like Apple and Starbucks, but also Armani, Chanel, Sony, Foot Locker, Burger King and golden arches at every turn. Not that these things are bad, just ubiquitous - and dull and uninteresting for that.

This sameness especially overwhelms me at airport duty-free lounges. I swear, spin me around in the airports of Singapore, London, Bangkok, Amsterdam........and I would not have a clue where I am, nor would it matter. The merchandise would be identical.

For that reason, Penhaligon's the perfumer is a delight. It is a tiny perfume maker near Covent Garden at 18 Beauchamp Place, London. Established in 1870, when people really needed perfume, Penhaligon's seems to have changed little. To quote the very delightful, only slightly stuffy young lady who attended us, 'Penhaligon's does not follow fashion'.

She wasn't kidding. Among their treasures, 'Blenheim Bouquet', created in 1902 on commission from the Dukes of Marlborough, was a personal favourite of Winston Churchill. It is a 'citrus scent, with black pepper notes, supported by alpine woods'. Winston drank like a fish, smoked cigars from breakfast until bed and reportedly had issues with personal hygiene . He was also rumoured to be a success with the ladies. I bought some.

Penhaligon's had just released 'Sartorial', to capture the essence of Saville Row. Sort of floral, but with an edge. Rich, but diminshed, like a banker after the GFC.

You know, these may, or may not, be the greatest perfumes and aftershaves on the planet. Waft three card slips in front of me and I can't tell the difference. But they are distinctive, they have history, they are presented by people who can tell the story and I really like them. And I smell like Winston Churchill.  






Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.
Winston Churchill 

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
Winston Churchill 

Great and good are seldom the same man.
Winston Churchill 

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
Winston Churchill 

No comments:

Post a Comment